SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Fire officials are issuing an early wildfire warning for parts of southern Utah as the state anticipates a weeknd of warm weather.
Closed Fire Season starting soon in southern Utah
Closed Fire Season has been moved up to this Saturday for Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane and Washington counties. Closed Fire Season typically is from June 1 to Oct. 31.
During fire season, limits are placed on burning unincorporated state and private land.
Closed Fire Season has been advanced to May 1, 2021 in Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane and Washington counties due to unseasonably high fire danger. Closed Fire Season limits open burning on unincorporated state and private land. #ffslkw
More info: https://t.co/fy1QQLSIEN pic.twitter.com/YZ6OjKAyi9
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) April 29, 2021
“Conditions are primed for higher fire potential,” said Kait Webb, a representative with Utah Fire Info. “Down in the southwest we’ve had a decent amount of fire activity.”
An active early seson
Overall, the state has already experienced over 155 wildfires which have burned over 6,300 acres. Officials say both of those figures are very high for this time of year.
Almost all of Utah is in a severe drought, which means wildfire officials are on alert and preparing for what could be a busy and dangerous fire season. https://t.co/6DHcFPwq7E
— KSL (@KSLcom) April 29, 2021
Additionally, at least eight wildfires in March were reportedly caused by target shooting. The other five were started by exploding targets.
“We do have concern and we want the public to be very aware that there is fire potential statewide this year,” Webb said. “The public has a very crucial role to play in wildfire prevention. They have a direct influence on how busy our wildfire season is.”
In addition to high temperatures, Webb said most of the state is dealing with dry soil and low moisture. According to her, both of those factors typically predict an active fire season.
Today’s Top Stories
- Crew member yelled ‘cold gun’ as he handed Alec Baldwin prop weapon, court…
- Tom Little – Lakeview Elementary School
- Driver injured in West Valley City single-car rollover
- Pair of incidents Thursday in Grand County kept authorities busy
- Comcast outage from Bountiful to Ogden
- Elder David A. Bednar makes a ministry stop in Jordan
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Director of photography killed, movie director injured after Alec Baldwin discharged prop…
- Teen disappears after boat capsized
- Hurricane authorities respond to paraglider crash