Affordable housing project in South Jordan brings homes to nine families
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah- A joint project from South Jordan city officials and homebuilders will bring nine families new, affordable housing. The project, The Bingham Court Workforce Partnership, is meant to provide a reduced-cost place to live for government employees.
The nine homes are meant to be for those whose income meets the affordable housing criteria set forth by the state of Utah. The affordable housing project has specified these homes will be for “frontline workers”.
City officials believe those who fall into this category are teachers, police, or even a school’s cafeteria worker. It has been reported several of these refurbished homes will be filled by teachers and city employees.
The units are located in the Bingham Junction apartments on 114th South between 1300 West and Redwood Road.
“Nine homes doesn’t solve a lot for the overall problem, but it’s huge for these families,” Brian Preece, South Jordan Director of City Commerce, said.
The three parties sought input from the city council before the developments began.
“In the townhome section of this development we would set aside one unit per building, which meant 9 units, that we would work together to help bring down the cost so they’re in the affordable range,” Preece reported.
According to Preece, South Jordan chipped in $100,000 per home to bring down the cost of redevelopment, and Ivory Homes contributed to the costs as well.
To make these units even more affordable to families, Preece said some of the families took advantage of a downpayment assistance program.
“We’ve got some families who are able to live in South Jordan, where they work, who wouldn’t be able to live here any other way,” Preece said.
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Archaeologists unearth 27 coffins at Egypt’s Saqqara pyramid
- More human remains discovered in Lake Mead’s receding waters
- One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
- Speed Week on Bonneville Salt Falts is called off due to flooding from rain
- Russian dairy farmers gave cows VR goggles with hopes they would be happier and make better milk
- The University of Utah releases phone calls from the McCluskey murder
- Thousands of dead fish are washing up along a California river. It’s because of a…
- Tom Davidson – Box Elder High School
- Amber Alert canceled, missing boys from Price found in Elko, Nevada