Man in hospital following officer-involved shooting in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — Officials with the West Valley City Police Department say a man is in the hospital this morning following an officer-involved shooting.
Officer-involved shooting in West Valley City
Police said they received multiple calls around 2 a.m. from homeowners near 3855 South and 4800 West. They claim that a man was breaking house windows with a “blunt object.”
Still have a police presence here in West Valley City near 38th South & 48th West. We’re told that an officer shot a man that was reportedly breaking house windows. Latest info all morning on @kslnewsradio. pic.twitter.com/7eiAxWmTJQ
— John Wojcik (@wojKSL) May 10, 2021
Officers arrived on the scene shortly afterward and located the individual. Initially, they tried using non-lethal tactics, including a taser but said those attempts were unsuccessful.
“Then we had an officer that ultimately, shots were fired, and that’s kind of where we’re at now,” explained Lieutenant Levi Lloyd with the West Valley City Police Department.
Man sent to hospital, investigation is handed over to UPD
The man was transported from the area to a hospital by ambulance. Cops said he was “awake and talking” at that time, although they have no updates on his current condition. No identification for the man has been provided at this time.
— Sean Moody (@SeanMoodyPhoto) May 10, 2021
A protocol team with the Unified Police Department is now on-scene and investigating the officer-involved critical incident.
“The way the protocol team works is they’ll come in and conduct interviews of witnesses [and] the officers and kind of figure out the best they can what transpired and go from there,” says Lieutenant Lloyd.
Right now, 3855 South remains closed due to the ongoing investigation and will likely remain impacted throughout the morning.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Christian Pulisic is day-to-day after being taken to hospital with pelvic contusion suffered…
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat