Body of worker who drowned in private pond recovered
This story originally appeared on KSL.com. Read the original version here.
HOLLADAY, Utah — The body of a construction worker who police say drowned in a private pond was recovered late Monday.
Melvin Danilo Castro, 35, of Kearns, was working on a home in the area of 2626 E. Walker Lane when he and friends decided to use a kayak on a private pond in the area about 8 p.m. Monday, said Unified Police Sgt. Melody Cutler. Castro was not wearing a life jacket.
Worker never resurfaced, presumed drowned
The kayak capsized, and the combination of the water being “very, very cold” and the victim having “no swimming ability” resulted in Castro never resurfacing after falling into the water, she said.
“His friends immediately began to attempt to rescue him could not get him out of the water and lost visual of him when he went under,” according to a statement from Unified police.
The SCUBA Team from Salt Lake County Search and Rescue located the body about 35 minutes after arriving. The pond is about 20 feet deep and the water temperature Monday night was recorded at 52-degrees, police stated.
Cutler said investigators are calling the drowning “purely accidental.” She said the incident is also a reminder for people who will be in the outdoors in the coming weeks as snow from the mountains continues to melt and fill the valley’s rivers and creeks, to be extra cautious when around water.
“Our hearts and prayers go out to the family and friends at this time,” Cutler said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- UPDATE: Southbound I-15 lanes in Washington County reopen following closure
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- One person flees I-15 crash in Murray
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- ‘Fame’ and ‘Flashdance’ singer-actor Irene Cara dies at 63
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished