Hiker dies, body recovered in Little Cottonwood Canyon near Mount Superior
LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON, Utah – A hiker was found dead near Mount Superior after not coming home Thursday night. Search and rescue crews were able to remove 31-year-old Brent Rane from the mountain Friday morning.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) May 21, 2021
Hiker met with poor weather conditions on Mount Superior
He left to go up to hike about 2:30 PM Thursday and told his family on the phone that night at 7:50 PM he was descending the mountain.
“It appears he slipped on some snow and hit a rock,” said Unified Police detective Ken Hansen. “This is an experienced hiker, but it appears he just, unfortunately, slipped, and when he fell it looks like he may have hit his head.”
Sad to report this morning that the body of a 31 year old man from Salt Lake City has been found following a hike he started yesterday afternoon up Little Cottonwood Canyon. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/ck5V5XhozN
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) May 21, 2021
More Search and Rescue calls
It’s their 10th search and rescue call in 12 days. Hansen said also on Thursday another experienced hiker fell and hurt his leg.
“We have these really steep hills, and if you make a mistake, the penalty is pretty significant,” said Hansen.
He says there’s still snow in the mountains, in addition to loose rock and dirt that pose a hazard on the steep trails and hills.
Also, the weather and conditions can change pretty quickly, where you might leave when it is good weather, but then a storm can come in.
“Wait till the snow is gone, wait till it’s not so slippery, and it’s a little drier, a little warmer, and if possible have someone with you,” he advised.
The search and rescue crews are all volunteers and Hansen called them invaluable to the safety of others.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]