Police investigate discovery of dead body in Taylorsville Wednesday afternoon
UPDATE: Police have confirmed the individual they found is Ivan Nickolas Vetecnik or “Nick” who is 15 years old. The following story has been updated to reflect this new information.
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — Unified Police are investigating the discovery of a dead body Wednesday afternoon around 4 p.m. near the area of 1600 Elise Drive. Unified police Sgt. Melody Cutler said at the early stage of the investigation, not much is known except that the victim a 15-year-old boy and the death is being ruled suspicious.
“They’ve written a warrant to be able to search, and then they will go in with the medical examiner’s office and do a forensics exam and be able to make some determinations on what exactly happened here,” according to Cutler.
Police said they caught up with a person of interest Wednesday evening and believe that the 17-year-old person of interest and the 16-year-old victim knew each other and were seen together recently.
Cutler said there was a lot of blood in a trailer where the body was discovered, but no weapon was found. An alert was issued early Wednesday evening for the 17-year-old person of interest. It did not take long for police to catch up with the teen.
Officers said a cause of death was unclear, pending a completed investigation.
Police say the family has set up a Gofundme for funeral expenses.
*KSL NewsRadio does not assure that the money deposited to the account directly benefits the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
Today’s Top Stories
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Chinese President Xi Jinping tells troops to focus on ‘preparing for war’
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote
- Layton man taken into custody for allegedly recording women in restroom
- Demolition begins at the old Utah State Prison in Draper
- What to do after a fender bender in snowy weather?