SALT LAKE CITY – Utah Jazz shooting guard Donovan Mitchell says he ‘felt better than anticipated’ after returning from his ankle injury to play 26 minutes in Game 2 of the NBA Playoffs.
There was some controversy around him missing Game 1 with the All-Star feeling he was ready to go, but also admitted to having the jitters prior to him playing Wednesday.
“There’s definitely a bit of nerves. … Jumping off the foot for the first time that hard in five weeks, landing, cutting,” Mitchell said. “Those are the things that you definitely think about.”
He seemed to shrug it off quickly as he finished with 25 points on 8-19 shooting and 5-10 from the three point line with 12 of those points coming in the first quarter. He also helped get Grizzlies shooting guard Dillon Brooks in early foul trouble.
“I feel good,” Mitchell said. “I have put myself in kind of treacherous situations to come back to be ready for playoff intensity.”
Getting back into form
The two-time All-Star came down on his ankle in the fourth quarter and so the team sent him to the locker room to be evaluated. He says there was nothing to worry about on the hard landing though.
“I just haven’t played in five weeks, all my stuff I’ve been doing to keep the ankles warm,” Mitchell said. “Every workout, there’s always a time where you warm up, there’s never a time you’re sitting and come back in.”
He didn’t say whether or not his minutes may increase, but he says him and the team will likely just play it by ear.
“I won’t come out and say I expect to play 35,” Mitchell said. “I think the biggest thing is how the game goes, how I’m feeling. I’m trusting my body. It’s a marathon not a sprint.”
The Jazz will hit the road to play in Memphis on Saturday for Game 3 of its first round series in the NBA Playoffs. Tip-off is set for 7:30 PM.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arizona couple drowns at Deer Creek Reservoir, neither wearing life vest
- Father drowns at Pineview trying to retrieve son
- Utah Adventures Are Waiting for Your Student | Experience One of the Best Summer School…
- How the 2020 recession in the US is affecting Americans in 2021 and into the future –…
- 7 things you didn’t know about ketamines for pain, depression, stress, and recovery…
- 6 common questions about treasury management services
- Cedar City Utah is your next weekend vacation | 6 awesome outdoor adventures you and your…
- Salt Lake officer-involved shooting deemed as justified
- Ammon Bundy announces run for Idaho governor in 2022
- School suspends social media accounts, district investigates reason for leaving student out…