SALT LAKE CITY — Hundreds of homes and people have been evacuated as a safety precaution as the Mammoth Creek fire continues to burn in the Dixie National Forest.
Dixie National Forest spokesman Kevin Abel told KSL that, as of late Sunday afternoon, 280 homes and 150 people had been evacuated.
Abel also said that most of the structures in possible danger are cabins, and that many are vacant at this time.
The Mammoth Creek wildfire burning one mile south of Mammoth Creek Village in the Dixie National Forest grew overnight to 566 acres.
According to the website Wildfire Today, the Mammoth Creek fire is burning timber (Ponderosa pine and Douglas fir) and grass 21 miles east-southeast of Cedar City, Utah. It is five miles due north of Duck Creek Village and 12 miles west-southwest of Hatch and Highway 89
The Cedar Mountain Fire Protection District (CMFPD) reports that structures are threatened and that Mammoth Creek Village has been evacuated.
The CMFPD also reports that 14 engines are working the fire, as well as three single-engine air tankers and air attack crews.
Fire managers are requesting the public’s assistance by avoiding the area to allow fire resources to access the fire.
Most of Southern Utah is experiencing red flag conditions and wind gusts of 35 mph are expected throughout the day Sunday.
In Cedar City early Sunday afternoon, the temperature was 85 degrees Fahrenheit and had reached the predicted high temperature for the area.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arizona couple drowns at Deer Creek Reservoir, neither wearing life vest
- Father drowns at Pineview trying to retrieve son
- Utah Adventures Are Waiting for Your Student | Experience One of the Best Summer School…
- 7 things you didn’t know about ketamines for pain, depression, stress, and recovery…
- 6 common questions about treasury management services
- School suspends social media accounts, district investigates reason for leaving student out…
- Cedar City Utah is your next weekend vacation | 6 awesome outdoor adventures you and your…
- Namath excited for Zach Wilson, says Jets fans ‘deserve’ a title
- How the 2020 recession in the US is affecting Americans in 2021 and into the future –…
- John Stockton, Jazz legend, appears in anti-vaccine documentary trailer