SALT LAKE CITY — A father drowned at Pineview Reservoir on Sunday afternoon. The 37-year-old man, who was not wearing a life-jacket, disappeared as he swam in the Middle Inlet area of the reservoir trying to retrieve his son who was on a flotation device.
The Weber County Sheriff’s office said a bystander successfully retrieved the child after the father did not resurface.
Weber County Search and Rescue began a search that included a Life Flight helicopter. The body was found not long after the search began.
The man’s identity has not yet been released.
“The Weber County Sheriff’s Office would like to extend our condolences to the family,” said a statement from the Sheriff’s office.
This story will be updated.
A lucky escape
At the Jordanelle Reservior in Weber County, a teenager is recovering from a near drowning.
Officials stated three people were using a pool-toy to float in the lake when a 14-year old girl, who was not wearing a life-jacket, began struggling to stay afloat and she slipped under the water.
Witnesses say bystanders brought her to shore and administered CPR. She did revive and was taken to a local hospital where she was cleared.
Today’s Top Stories
- Instagram user says she saw Petito and Laundrie in Wyoming restaurant
- Family of former BYU and NFL player wins lawsuit against blinds manufacturer
- Don’t second-guess Moab police in Gabby Petito case, says lawyer
- 911 call that prompted interaction with Gabby Petito released
- Woman dead, man hurt after police chase and crash in Summit County
- First Presidency urge masks be worn at all times in temples
- Beloved ‘Sex and the City’ actor Willie Garson dies at 57
- Body recovered, half-brother sought around Yellowstone lake
- No pride flag, or others, in Davis School District classrooms
- Underwater dive team arrives to scene of search for Gabby Petito’s fiancé Brian Laundrie