A bridge too far? BYU research brings internet trolls’ dark traits to light
PROVO, Utah — That internet troll lurking under the bridge of your Facebook feed may look a little different to you, in light of new research into the personality traits of trolls from BYU.
Researchers at Brigham Young University found many trolls exhibit the “dark triad” of personality traits. Those include narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy.
“In fact, [internet trolls] really need to have schadenfreude,” Brubaker said. “Schadenfreude is the tendency to receive pleasure from the misfortune of others.”
BYU research: Internet trolls enjoy your troubles
According to Brubaker, a number of trolls know they’re trolls, and think that they’re funny. They don’t see themselves as speaking out or trying to create dialogue.
“They want to provoke other people, they want to make them angry, they want a reaction, they want an emotion reaction at the expense of others,” she said.
Brubaker’s research included a survey of hundreds of Reddit users. It found those who exhibited trolling behaviors also tended to have darker personality traits.
To the rest of us non-trolls, the internet in general and social media in particular can seem like an unfriendly place. 64% of Americans in a recent Pew survey said social media negatively impacts society.
“We know incivility in many forms, whether it’s bullying or trolling, is pervasive online,” Brubaker said. “And so being able to understand why it’s occuring is really important.”
Knowing more about internet trolls, the BYU professor said, could make it easier to combat them — or at least employ mute, block and ignore options.
The journal of Social Media and Society published the research.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman