UPDATE: Man dead after SWAT standoff in South Ogden that lasted over half a day
SOUTH OGDEN — A man is dead in South Ogden after holding SWAT teams at bay for many hours, and opening fire on the officers outside the home. Investigators say they’re not sure if he was hit by police bullets, or if he took his own life.
Officers from several different agencies responded to the situation that started overnight. Sergeant David Labbe with South Ogden Police said calls came in around 7 pm Tuesday to meet with a family in the hospital where they learned of an alleged domestic violence situation that injured three people, and the suspect was still inside the home on Country View Drive.
“Officers … consulted with the SWAT team after learning that this individual possessed a firearm. The SWAT team arrived and again attempted contact,” Labbe said.
Labbe said officers went to contact the suspect. Labbe said they received a warrant, made contact with the individual, but negotiations didn’t last long.
“At some point, they did engage this individual. Negotiations went on, and at about midnight or about quarter after midnight the individual opened fire on the officers. Over the course of the night, and several gunshots were fired by the subject and by officers in return.”
Labbe said multiple agencies have responded from as far away as Brigham City and Layton. For hours, police were uncertain if the suspect was still alive, so they sent robots and used drones to spot any possible activity inside the house.
“We’ve had to use other resources to find out whether he was still active,” Labbe said
Just before noon, officers went into the home and found the suspect deceased. The cases has been given to the Officer Involved Critical Incident Protocol Team to determine how the suspect died.
— Shara Park (@KSLSharaPark) June 30, 2021
Contributing: Paul Nelson
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?