Utah Rep. Owens wants to #FREEBRITNEY
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah Fourth District Representative Burgess Owens (R) joins a growing list of Republican lawmakers calling on the House Judiciary Committee to hold a hearing on conservatorships, guardianships, and abuse. The Deseret News reports Owens signed a letter inviting Britney Spears to testify before Congress, along with Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz (R) and Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan (R).
Britney Spears asked a Los Angeles County judge to end her conservatorship last week but was denied. That has not stopped the calls to #FREEBRITNEY
“I do believe the nation was quite taken with the control that the guardianship and conservatorship process has on far too many Americans,” said Rep. Gaetz during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on June 23, 2021. “I am glad Britney Spears got to speak out on this issue finally yesterday.”
BREAKING: Congressman Matt Gaetz Invites Britney Spears to Testify Before Congress on Conservatorship Abuse
“If you will speak to Congress, we are ready to listen.
— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) July 1, 2021
Rep. Owens recounts how his aunt was victimized by an abusive guardianship in his statement to the Deseret News.
“I saw firsthand how legal mechanisms like this, when abused, can leave vulnerable people feeling voiceless and violated by the system designed to protect them,” said Owens. “If there are any steps that Congress can take, we want to try, even if that is listening and using our voices to advocate for those potentially mistreated by our country’s legal system.”
KSL Newsradio reached out to Owens’ office for comment but was told he’s recovering from a minor surgery and directed us to the statement issued to our colleagues at the Deseret News.
Today’s Top Stories
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Ballpark Station reopens after closing due to fallen scaffolding
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- Crash involving RV leaves one dead
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Teen killed in Hurricane auto-pedestrian accident
- 21-year-old man sentenced for multiple sex crimes
- BYU engineering students put ‘world’s smallest Book of Mormon’ on 4 inch disc