OGDEN, Utah — The Weber County Attorney’s Office filed formal charges Tuesday against an Ogden man accused of throwing his ex-girlfriend’s baby bunny against a dresser during an argument.
Ogden bunny thrown, killed during argument
Tra Hoopes, 28, was booked into the Weber County Jail after the altercation on July 2. In a probable cause statement, police said Hoopes got into an argument with his ex, with whom he still lives. The ex-girlfriend told police Hoopes followed her into her bedroom, where she picked up the bunny, which required bottle-feeding. Then, she told police he prevented her from leaving the room, despite her telling him multiple times to let her leave to check on her children and feed the bunny.
“Tra eventually grabbed the very small, 3 week old bunny, with his hand and threw it to a dresser as he turned around,” police said in the probable cause statement. “This act killed the bunny. The victim stated she had never seen something be thrown so hard or so fast.”
Ogden police said the woman told them she believed Hoopes threw the bunny to scare or intimidate her. She also accused him of throwing items in the past for the same reason.
Hoopes denied preventing the woman from leaving the bedroom or touching the bunny at any point.
Prosecutors charged Hoopes with three counts of commission of domestic violence in the presence of a child, because the woman’s three children were home at the time. He also faces charges of unlawful detention and aggravated cruelty to an animal.
- House passes bill making animal cruelty a federal felony
- Animal advocates want tougher penalties for abusers
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Bus driver from Alpine School District fired over posters on the bus
- Maggie has her day in the snow
- Utah man finishes World Championship half Ironman while dying from ALS
- Armed robbery at an Ogden 7/11
- Analysts: Mental health calls to Safe UT app ‘more intense’ since pandemic
- Parent speaks about posters found on Alpine School District bus
- Minersville male shot and killed over “self defense” says Sheriff
- Moab homicide victims told friends if something happened to them, they were murdered
- Shining a Light on Domestic Violence: Gabby Petito case brings DV to the forefront
- Arches ranger remembers warning Gabby Petito about toxic relationship