CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
House explosion in Layton is under investigation currently
LAYTON, Utah — Rescue workers took one person to the hospital Tuesday after what some described as a house explosion in a Layton neighborhood.
911 calls started coming in Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. Layton City Fire Batallion Chief Jason Cook confirmed first responders determined the explosion came from the garage.
“This was just off of Jeff Street in our city [Layton] and there were multiple  calls for what was initially described as an explosion,” Cook said. “There was a large amount of smoke coming from one of the neighbor’s homes.”
Luckily, the explosion did not cause a house fire which was a concern for Cook. There was a male in the garage at the time of the explosion and he has serious, non-life-threatening injuries.
One injured in Layton house explosion
The University of Utah’s AirMed team flew the man to the University of Utah Hospital’s burn unit.
“More than just burn injuries, there were trauma injuries as well and he was in stable condition when he was flown,” Cook added.
The cause of the house explosion is still under investigation. Because the house explosion did not cause a fire, the fire department is turning the investigation over to law enforcement in Layton.
“The house has some structural damage, our building inspector did and is doing an investigation to make sure it is still habitable,” Cook said.
- Demolition of condemned South Jordan home begins
- A busy 24-hours for North Summit Fire after explosion, overturned semi
- Wolverine sighting reported in Layton, confirmed by DWR
- UDOT may need to repair new bridge in Layton after backhoe bridge crash
- Unified, Layton, Park City among crews helping fight California wildfires
- Woman arrested, accused in string of Kaysville arson fires
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date