New Utah fire starts near Willow Creek Canyon
SEVIER, Utah — Utah fire officials reported a new fire that started near Willow Creek Canyon and the town of Redmond.
Fire near Willow Creek Canyon
Officials have not confirmed if this fire was human-caused or caused naturally.
New Start: #WillowCreekFire near Willow Creek Canyon & East of the town of Redman. Fire is very visible in Sevier/Sanpete Co. Actively running in pinyon juniper & growing rapidly. 25+ acres. Air & ground resources on scene. More info to come when available. #kmyffsl pic.twitter.com/Ymx5QcuJmq
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) July 8, 2021
The fire itself is visible in Sevier and Sanpete County in southern Utah. Additionally, it has already claimed 25 acres, possibly more, and is growing rapidly.
According to the National Park Service, “The majority of pinyon-juniper woodlands are found in regions subject to temperature extremes and limited moisture availability.” With limited moisture available, it can make the fire grow quickly.
Officials reported they have both air and ground resources on the scene to mitigate the fire.
This story is developing and more information will be added.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- 2 dead after crash into parked box truck
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students