SALT LAKE CITY — It takes a lot of hard work to become a certified wildland firefighter.
So much so, that many individuals don’t make it through one year.
Wildland firefighters: The right stuff
In addition to taking classes, a potential wildland firefighter must pass a physical examination, for which the requirements can differ from agency to agency. However, Curry said every agency includes one requirement for all recruits across the board.
“There is a 45 pound load on the individual,” he said. “And they have to be able to go 3 miles in under 45 minutes.”
And if a new trainee fails this portion of the examination, Curry said that is not necessarily the end of the road.
“Maybe you got an injury, maybe you got a chronic joint problem so that you can’t,” he said. “But even those folks try to figure out some way to stay close to fire.”
Curry said because of the drought, fires are acting differently and are more dangerous. Seasoned firefighters remind new recruits to play it safe and to take notes on how tired they have become.
- Firefighters train in southern Utah for robust wildfire season
- Forestry officials: Wildland firefighter pay, hiring need a boost
- Unified Fire Authority prepares for wildfire season in Utah
- President pledges to raise firefighter pay in meeting with western governors
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Rob Bishop suddenly resigns from Utah Redistricting Commission
- 4 African lions at Utah’s Hogle Zoo test positive for COVID-19 Delta Variant
- Utah app “pirate” turns out to be wanted man from Indiana
- $24 billion in goods is floating outside California’s biggest ports
- Extreme couponers were sent to prison in $31.8 million fraud scheme
- Great Salt Lake dust could be toxic, bad for snow season
- Hospitals in need of crutches/canes across Utah, donations needed
- Police: 2 die, 4 injured in Idaho mall shooting
- Ogden police investigating death of 41-year-old man
- Logan coffee shop offers help to those experiencing mental health crisis