Coronavirus seven day average shows cases are spiking in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The seven day average for positive coronavirus cases is up to 445. That’s more than double from the state’s low this year on June 3rd, where we averaged 200-cases per day.
The Utah Department of Health‘s website shows Utah County has the largest number of new cases. More than 1300 people tested positive in the last two weeks.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says Utah is among the top five states with the biggest two-week jump in cases per capita. And all 5-states show they have lower vaccination rates: Louisiana, 39.2%; Arkansas, 43%; Missouri, 45.9%; Nevada, 50.9%; and Utah, 49.5%.
The rising cases in Utah started just as people began their 4th of July celebrations. The rest of the country also seeing the same trend, especially in areas of low vaccination rates.
A map of the rising coronavirus cases in Utah. Darker colors are bad. pic.twitter.com/Anvj1lm2BM
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) July 14, 2021
The Associated Press reports officials in some cities and states are now looking to bring back some restrictions. In Mississippi people 65 and older and those with chronic underlying conditions are being advised to stay away from large indoor gatherings because hospitalizations rose 150% in the last three weeks.
Quarantines are resuming in Chicago. Yesterday, authorities announced travelers from both Missouri and Arkansas must have a negative COVID-19 test to enter the city, or quarantine for ten days.
And even those who are already vaccinated are being asked to resume wearing masks in public by health officials in Los Angeles County and in St. Louis, Missouri.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success