LUND, Utah — A train derailed in Iron County after the area saw heavy rain and flooding late Thursday night. 95 train cars and three people were injured.
The Iron County Sheriff’s Office said dispatchers in Cedar City received a 911 call shortly after 10:00 pm about the derailment. Due to the conditions, it took emergency crews a while to get to the scene.
“Due to the weather and floodwaters in the area deputies and other emergency personnel had a difficult time getting to the injured subjects,” they said. “At approximately 0050 hours (12:50 AM), deputies and other responding personnel were able to make contact with the injured.”
Deputies said that the three occupants of the train who all sustained injuries were able to exit the train and get on to the upper side of the locomotive, but due to the rising floodwaters they were told to remain on top of the trian.
“Due to the remote location and lack of medical supplies, there was a concern for the wellbeing of those injured,” The Sheriff’s Office said.
After emergency crews responded and they were able to safely get those injured off the train and transported to the hospital, officials said two were in good condition and one was in stable condition.
Officials were unsure of what freight and cargo the train was carrying. They’ve asked the public avoid the area while investigations and clean up are underway.
Iron County Sheriff’s Office, Iron County Roads Department, Cedar City Fire Department, Washington County Swift Water team, Union Pacific, Utah Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands, Southern Utah University Police Department (Off-duty officer in the area) Gold Cross Ambulance, and Beaver County Ambulance, all assisted with the accident.
Union Pacific confirmed to KSL NewsRadio that there were no explosives on the train. Union Pacific also said there are no plans to detonate the train, and crews are moving in to begin the removal process.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Crew member yelled ‘cold gun’ as he handed Alec Baldwin prop weapon, court…
- Tom Little – Lakeview Elementary School
- Driver injured in West Valley City single-car rollover
- Pair of incidents Thursday in Grand County kept authorities busy
- Comcast outage from Bountiful to Ogden
- Elder David A. Bednar makes a ministry stop in Jordan
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Teen disappears after boat capsized
- Director of photography killed, movie director injured after Alec Baldwin discharged prop…
- The Ice Castles attraction in Midway is moving to a cool new location