Salt Lake City murder from 2018 solved with forensic evidence
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department has made an arrest in the 2018 murder of Candace Samples using forensic evidence. Kidus Yohannes, 34, was arrested for the murder of 20-year-old Samples on Monday.
Homicide investigations are sometimes long and complicated but we never rest, and cases are never “cold”. We have arrested Kidus Yohannes 34, for the 2018 murder of Candace Samples. #SLC #Arrest #Homicide pic.twitter.com/FFtTaK4Knl
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) July 19, 2021
Investigators report that Yohannes stabbed Samples over two dozen times near a dollar store on 300 West in Salt Lake City. KSL TV reported when police arrived at the scene Samples and another man who had been stabbed were both in “very rough shape.”
Yohannes reportedly chased Samples from the Marmalade Library in Salt Lake City thinking she had his phone.
Though firefighters pronounced Samples dead on the scene, both she and the male were taken to a nearby hospital. The male survived the incident and was able to give testimony that pointed to Yohannes.
“These cases take a while,” said Salt Lake City Police Sergeant Keith Horrocks. “It’s not always because we don’t have any leads, it’s a matter of making sure evidence falls into place.”
In addition to the testimony, results from the Utah State Crime Lab came back showing Samples’ DNA on Yohannes’ clothes the night of the murder.
Before the DNA evidence came through, though they were sure Yohannes committed the murder, investigators said they did not have the forensic evidence to support their theory.
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman