SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department was involved in a fatal officer-involved incident on Tuesday, after responding to a report of a suicidal person near Redwood Road and 700 North.
Salt Lake Police Sgt. Keith Horrocks said that, after officers received the call and arrived on the scene, someone started firing gunshots at the officers. The officers returned fire while taking cover.
The SLCPD said the person who’d shot at them then barricaded themselves inside a home.
At that point, officers brought negotiators to the scene.
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) July 20, 2021
Officers found the person dead after they were finally able to enter the home on Tuesday evening.
Police have not yet released any information regarding the person’s age, gender, or identity.
“An investigation into an officer-involved critical incident has been opened and is being investigated by an outside agency,” Horrocks said, adding “Redwood Road will be closed for quite some time while we conduct the investigation.”
This story is developing and will be updated with more information.
Today’s Top Stories
- A two-vehicle accident in northern Utah claims one life
- Fire burning at old Diamond Lil’s, set for destruction on Sunday
- Instagram user says she saw Petito and Laundrie in Wyoming restaurant
- Board of Education to investigate Cline post on Racial Healing Group
- Police say witness beat up minister for inappropriately touching a child at an OK bus stop
- Utah Jazz require COVID-19 vaccine or negative test for fans, new rule sparks heated reaction
- Utah Jazz add Holly Rowe to TV broadcast team
- Utah man has sights on a record-breaking pumpkin
- Mental health magnet being mailed to Alpine District parents
- Boyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud