The Cat’s Meow: Salt Lake is one of the best cities in the US to be a cat
SALT LAKE CITY — A new study ranks Salt Lake City as the third best and friendliest city in the country — for cats.
According to pet insurance company One-Vet, after ranking 5 factors across 50 cities in the US, Salt Lake City came out victorious.
One-Vet said they used five different factors to determine a friendliness scale for felines. They looked at things like the number of rentals per one-thousand that allow cats, the number of veterinarians, the number of cat adoptions, and the number of “Cat Cafes.”
It looks like a Tinker’s Cat Cafe on 900 S could have edged Salt Lake above the competition. On their website, the cat cafe says they are the first feline-friendly cafe in Utah that provides adoption services alongside pastries and “catpuccinos.”
Also adding to the high scores in Salt Lake was a relatively high number of cats that were adopted per population. Salt Lake ranked 5th overall in the number of adoptions per 100,000. (So the C in SLC may stand for cat.)
The two cities that beat Salt Lake were both from Florida, with Miami taking the top spot and Orlando coming in a close second.
On the flip side, the worst place for some feline friends was New York City. The difficulty for owners to find cat-friendly homes, close veterinarians, and pet stores were the biggest pitfalls according to One-Vet.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Suspect in Layton Amber Alert charged
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC
- Missing radioactive capsule from Rio Tinto mine found on Australian road