The Cat’s Meow: Salt Lake is one of the best cities in the US to be a cat
SALT LAKE CITY — A new study ranks Salt Lake City as the third best and friendliest city in the country — for cats.
According to pet insurance company One-Vet, after ranking 5 factors across 50 cities in the US, Salt Lake City came out victorious.
One-Vet said they used five different factors to determine a friendliness scale for felines. They looked at things like the number of rentals per one-thousand that allow cats, the number of veterinarians, the number of cat adoptions, and the number of “Cat Cafes.”
It looks like a Tinker’s Cat Cafe on 900 S could have edged Salt Lake above the competition. On their website, the cat cafe says they are the first feline-friendly cafe in Utah that provides adoption services alongside pastries and “catpuccinos.”
Also adding to the high scores in Salt Lake was a relatively high number of cats that were adopted per population. Salt Lake ranked 5th overall in the number of adoptions per 100,000. (So the C in SLC may stand for cat.)
The two cities that beat Salt Lake were both from Florida, with Miami taking the top spot and Orlando coming in a close second.
On the flip side, the worst place for some feline friends was New York City. The difficulty for owners to find cat-friendly homes, close veterinarians, and pet stores were the biggest pitfalls according to One-Vet.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- SLCPD activate OICI following the death of a suspect in police custody
- Canyons School District starting the year with a teacher and staff shortage
- Some Capitol rioters try to profit from their Jan. 6 crimes
- Man fatally shoots self after crashing car into barricade near US Capitol Building
- Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- Police looking for suspect in West Valley drive-by shooting