Days of ’47 Parade is about memories and tradition
SALT LAKE CITY — The Days of ’47 Parade is about creating memories and setting tradition.
Whether the traditions are staking out the perfect spot, or surviving a heavy rainstorm, KSL NewsRadio‘s Mary Richards spoke to a few individuals attending Friday’s annual parade.
“We usually get here about 5 o’clock in the morning,” said Dana Burnett, of Murray. “We usually get to where we want to be without having to come the night before.”
Families gather for Days of ’47 Parade
Melinda Jakimowicz and her family camped overnight at their spot, near 150 South and 200 East. They had to endure the severe thunderstorm that rolled through Salt Lake City Thursday evening.
“We were in the middle of of trying to put up the canopies,” she said. “It was raining and we were like hurry get them up, them up.”
North Ogden resident Jim Joy also showed up early to the parade on Friday at spot on 300 South. He says the east side of the street is the perfect spot to watch the parade.
“You have the sun behind you,” he said. “Over there, the sun is in your eyes.”
Joy also said that it’s a tough time when the parade concludes.
“The saddest part of the day is when the last float comes through,” he said. “You get that empty feeling like ‘oh, it’s done.'”
Despite the parade not being held in 2020, Joy said his family watched the rebroadcast of the 2019 on KSL
“We set up our canopy downstairs, we set up our camp chairs downstairs,” he said. “And watched the parade on our large screen TV. We wanted to keep the tradition going.”
- People saving spaces for Days of 47 Parade
- Hundreds camp out in downtown Salt Lake City for the Days of ’47 Parade
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Parents, need a side hustle? The Murray School District is hiring
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Investigation continues after plane plunges into Lake Powell, killing 2
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- 4moms infant swings and rockers recalled over strangulation danger
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- Some Capri Sun products being recalled by Kraft Heinz