A new low for the southern edge of Utah’s Great Salt Lake
SALT LAKE CITY — Average daily water levels recorded at the southern tip of the Great Salt Lake show that the lake has dropped by about one inch below the previous low level, recorded in 1963.
In that year, the depth of the southern portion of the lake was 4,191.4 according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS.)
Great Salt Lake has reached the new historic low according to USGS. GSL has been declining for some time; current #drought has accelerated its fall. The previous record was set in 1963 at 4191.4. USGS maintains records back to 1847. https://t.co/9GZuOLRuTT pic.twitter.com/b3hNdZlpN2
— Utah Water Resources (@UTAHSavesH2O) July 24, 2021
Wind can cause temporary changes in lake levels. The USGS says that’s why daily records of the lake levels are kept and examined. The USGS has been keeping records of Great Salt Lake levels since 1847.
The USGS expects the lake to decline further throughout the summer.
“Based on current trends and historical data, the USGS anticipates water levels may decline an additional foot over the next several months,” said USGS Utah Water Science Center data chief Ryan Rowland.
Officials with the Utah Department of Natural Resources said Utah’s ongoing drought is the biggest contributor to the lake’s declining levels.
“While the Great Salt Lake has been gradually declining for some time, current drought conditions have accelerated its fall to this new historic low,” said Utah Department of Natural Resources executive director Brian Steed.
The lake level data is available to the public on USGS’s website.
The lake’s highest historic level occurred in 1986 when it reached 4,212 feet — more than 20 feet higher than measurements taken this week.
Today’s Top Stories
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Teen arrested, suspected of aggravated murder in Salt Lake City
- Crash involving RV leaves one dead
- Teen killed in Hurricane auto-pedestrian accident
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- Biden administration kicks off student loan debt forgiveness process