Pfizer data suggest third dose of Covid-19 vaccine ‘strongly’ boosts protection against Delta variant
(CNN) — A third dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine can “strongly” boost protection against the Delta variant — beyond the protection afforded by the standard two doses, suggests new data released by Pfizer on Wednesday.
The data posted online, which are expected to be discussed in a company earnings call on Wednesday morning, suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant in people ages 18 to 55 who receive a third dose of vaccine are greater than five-fold than following a second dose.
Among people ages 65 to 85, the Pfizer data suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant after receiving a third dose of vaccine are greater than 11-fold than following a second dose.
There’s “estimated potential for up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization post-dose three compared to pre-dose three,” researchers wrote in the Pfizer data slides.
The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published.
The data also show that antibody levels are much higher after a third dose than a second dose against the original coronavirus variant and the Beta variant, first identified in South Africa.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a mask.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
- Get vaccinated.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished