Three hit-and-run incidents on I-15 sends one driver to jail
CENTERVILLE, Utah — A 33-year-old male from Provo is facing multiple charges after three hit- and-run incidents Saturday afternoon on southbound I-15 in Davis County.
According to Trooper Colton Freckleton of the Utah Highway Patrol, the first incident occurred near the Layton Parkway exit. A black Chevy Cruze came out of its lane and made contact with a semi-truck.
The semi pulled over. However, The Chevy Cruze drove off.
Freckleton said on I-15 between Layton and Centerville, the Chevy Cruze was involved in two additional hit-and-run accidents. The makes and models of the other vehicles involved were not known.
According to Freckleton, the last hit-and-run vehicle was pushed off into the shoulder of the exit lane, crashing into the Parrish Lane exit sign.
Objects thrown from the car
From there, the Chevy Cruze pulled over to the side of the highway. Once a UHP trooper arrived at the scene, he approached the vehicle, giving the driver commands. However, the trooper heard shouting coming from the Chevy Cruze, and he retreated to his car.
Moments later, the driver of the Chevy Cruz began throwing items at the trooper including games to an Xbox console and an open, foldable knife.
The knife did not hit the trooper, but it did hit the hood and windshield of his car. Police from Centerville arrived to assist the trooper, and the driver of the Chevy Cruze was taken into custody.
“They are going to be investigating him for DUI,” Freckleton said. “It sounds like (they) will mostly be investigating for DUI and three crashes, and it sounds like there could be more.”
Freckleton is uncertain if the driver will face charges for throwing a knife.
“I don’t know how serious the threat was with the knife,” he said. “Most likely, yes. But that’s still under investigation.”
The name of the driver was not released.
- Fatal car crash closes I-15 Southbound in Murray for 1 hour during morning commute
- Pedestrian dies after hit and run in Salt Lake City
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?