Google Maps suggests Guardsman Pass? Check yourself before you wreck yourself
SALT LAKE CITY — Drivers looking to avoid Parleys Canyon because of a fire burning along I-80 on Saturday may be tempted to check out Google Maps or another smartphone map app to skirt the traffic troubles, which may suggest Guardsman Pass as the better way to go.
But if you drive an oversize vehicle, those services could very well steer you wrong.
Google Maps says Guardsman Pass? Pass, if you’re in a big truck
Google Maps, Siri and other electronic services sometime suggests Guardsman Pass, a narrow road that crosses from Park City to Big Cottonwood Canyon, as an alternative to I-80. If you’re in a passenger vehicle and you’re driving during fair weather, that advice might work out just fine.
Update: This restriction is still in place. No semi trucks or other vehicles pulling trailers over Guardsman Pass, SR-224/SR-190 and Pine Canyon Rd. Consider using US-189 or I-84.
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) August 15, 2021
However, if you drive a tractor-trailer or other oversized vehicle, Google Maps’ advice to take Guardsman Pass will cause you trouble. The narrow, winding, high elevation pass also includes sharp switchbacks virtually guaranteed to cause a semi to jackknife.
Instead, the Utah Department of Transportation advises taking I-84 through Weber Canyon or US 189 as alternatives to I-80 while the fire impacts traffic.
You can also get KSL NewsRadio traffic updates on your radio, smart speaker or via the KSL NewsRadio app.
- Parleys Canyon brush fire closes I-80, forces evacuations
- Photo Gallery: Swift-moving fire forces evacuations in Parleys Canyon
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake County DA discusses Biden’s pardon of marijuana possession
- The countdown is over… what does Training Table have cooking up?
- Search for wanted fugitive in Tooele is unsuccessful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Odd smell coming from North Salt Lake goes unidentified
- Million dollar traffic stop in St. George
- UPDATE: SLCPD releases new information about Meadows Park shooting
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Zion National Park announces Fat Squirrel Week… it might not be what you think
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful