Why it still smells like smoke, even after the rain
SALT LAKE CITY — It STILL smells like a wet campfire outside even after three days of rain, with smoke lingering over the Wasatch Front.
We hoped the storm would clean it out, but that might be because we are used to winter storms cleaning out winter inversions. This is different.
“It’s such an odd pattern,” said KSL Meteorologist Kevin Eubank.
It still smells like smoke and there’s more coming
He said in a cold air pool, the storm scours or vents the atmosphere.
“With smoke, because it comes in from the high levels, the rains actually pulled the smoke down and the concentration on the surface was even more intense,” said
The 24-48 hour forecast for smoke shows some thinning on Friday, but more smoke coming in on Saturday and Sunday.
Thick smoke returns Sunday morning…. pic.twitter.com/sCnDcPnDUm
— Grant Weyman (@KSLweyman) August 20, 2021
“It comes in waves, and the only way to get rid of it is to put out the fires in California, Washington and Oregon that are producing all of that smoke,” said Eubank.
More smoke, more fires
There are also fires burning to the North West of us in British Columbia, Canada.
The National Weather Service posted a more detailed explanation on Twitter about how smoke and storms work together, and why the air quality and visibility appear so poor this week.
1/8 For those wondering why the mountains are no escape from the smoke these days… One key difference between our wintertime valley pollution and summertime smoke is the presence or lack of a stable layer in the form of a temperature inversion. #utwx pic.twitter.com/70mk6xl12h
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) August 20, 2021
The storm system brought the smoke with it for one thing. And for another, smoke from summer wildfires is different than winter inversion pollution.
- Utah ranked in top five worst in the world for air quality, smoke is to blame
- Utah doctors report rise in breathing problems likely due to smoky skies
- Utah’s smoky air is burning our lungs
Today’s Top Stories
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Update: 5-year-old still in critical condition after being hit by truck while riding balance bike
- Biden to pardon all federal offenses of simple marijuana possession in first major steps…
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- A kidnapped family of 4 has been found dead in California, authorities say
- Voters could see an increase in police presence at the polls
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Church leader speaks of caring for the earth at Why It Matters conference
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces