Smoke still drifting into Utah from active western wildfires
SALT LAKE CITY — The wildfires in the west are still burning, and the smoke keeps drifting into the sky over Utah.
More than two million acres have burned across California, Washington, and Oregon, and there’s not much containment on the larger fires. And depending on the temperature and the movement of the jet stream, smoke from those fires drifts sporadically into Utah.
— GBCC News and Notes (@GreatBasinCC) August 25, 2021
“We had been seeing nothing but green dots, but now the yellow dots are taking over a little bit here, with a mix of good air and moderately unhealthy air,” said KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman about the air quality map and sensors.
“Air pollution levels, unfortunately, are likely to get worse this afternoon and tonight as we get more of that smoke moving in,” he said.
Air pollution going up a bit pic.twitter.com/DQq9cnsUKR
— Grant Weyman (@KSLweyman) August 25, 2021
According to the National Interagency Fire Center, 92 large wildfires or complexes have burned this summer in the west.
States currently experiencing large fires according to the NIFC include:
#NationalFireNews: Large fires in California, Oregon and Washington continue to burn actively. Evacuation orders are in effect for residents near 17 large fires or complexes. More than 26,200 #FirefightingResources are assigned to incidents across the country. #FireYear2021 pic.twitter.com/VJIeYNmBwm
— National Interagency Fire Center (@NIFC_Fire) August 25, 2021
As more smoke rolls in Wednesday night, the air quality forecast is expected to change from yellow to orange on Thursday for Salt Lake County.
“It comes in waves, and the only way to get rid of it is to put out the fires in California, Washington and Oregon that are producing all of that smoke,” said KSL Meteorologist Kevin Eubank.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- UPDATE: SLCPD investigating party shooting that left one in critical condition
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Semi-truck rolls on I-80 at U.S.-40, Silver Creek Junction
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers