82 year old Topper Bakery in Ogden catches fire
OGDEN, Utah — Topper Bakery, at the corner of 25th Street and Monroe Boulevard, caught fire Monday night and could be a total loss.
By all accounts, it is a beloved bakery in Ogden but now is closed indefinitely.
Fire officials say they got the call around 10 p.m. They tried to fight it from the inside but had to switch to a defensive position from the outside as the flames shot up into the air from the roof.
Reports said no one was injured or inside at the time of the fire.
“It will be quite a while before the fire investigators get in there, dig through the rubble, and come up with a determination of cause,” Ogden Fire deputy chief Mike Slater told KSL TV photographer Derek Petersen on the scene.
Slater said the bakery was a staple in the community. It was known for tasty breads and custom wedding cakes.
“They supported us in our city functions in our city picnics and stuff like that, so there’s a good relationship between Toppers Bakery and the city of Ogden. So we’re devastated about what happened to them tonight,” he said.
Fire officials say the building is a total loss.. with damage estimated at over 250-thousand dollars.
The bakery’s Facebook page posted an update Tuesday morning.
“It is with a sad heart that I report that Topper Bakery caught on fire late last night! They are still trying to figure out the damages and what happened. Needless to say we will not be open for business for a while. Thank you for all of your support over the years! We will keep you posted on what is going on and when we can reopen. Sorry for any inconveniences this will cause so many of our customers.”
Fire destroys beloved Topper Bakery in Ogden.
Owners posted this message on FB thanking customers for support: “It is with a sad heart that I report that Topper Bakery caught on fire late last night! They are still trying to figure out the damages and what happened.” pic.twitter.com/szEBts1hp9
— Tamara Vaifanua (@TamaraVaifanua) August 31, 2021
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Storms blast southern Utah, flash flooding possible
- Saturday crash killed father and 2-year-old son
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- SLCPD investigating reported sexual assault at frat house near University of Utah
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead