DAVE & DUJANOVIC

Preventing house fires, and the importance of listening to your inner voice

Sep 2, 2021, 4:55 PM
KSL Newsradio host Debbie Dujanovic shows the outlet cover that was burning when she walked into he...
KSL Newsradio host Debbie Dujanovic shows the outlet cover that was burning when she walked into her kitchen a few nights ago. Photo credit: Debbie Dujanovic

SALT LAKE CITY — A toaster that was turned on accidentally nearly burned down the home of KSL NewsRadio host Debbie Dujanovic. So she shared her experience and then spoke with a firefighting official about how to prevent fires in your home.

Close call

Between 2012 and 2016, fire departments across the country responded to nearly 45,000 residential fires resulting from malfunctioning electric home appliances, according to Service Master.

Debbie got lucky, she woke up in time. But she said that getting up and moving toward her kitchen wasn’t a coincidence. She credits her “inner nagging voice” for prevented her from waking in the middle of the night surrounded by flames.

Earlier, putting away her toaster, she had accidentally turned it on. As she tried to fall asleep, a voice in her head told to go check for a document she needed for the next day. Her “lazy voice” urged her to stay in bed and try to slip into sleep. The pestering voice prevailed. She got out of bed, walked down the hall and into the kitchen where she smelled burning plastic. 

Smoke was coming from the toaster, which had turned bright red. The plug in the outlet had melted. Debbie said she knows if she hadn’t heeded her inner voice, her house may very well have burned down.

Tips from a firefighter

Riley Pilgrim, assistant fire chief for United Fire Authority, joined Debbie on the air to discuss home fire hazards.

Pilgrim said the appliances that concern firefighters are those that generate a lot of heat. Problems happen, he warned, when people are distracted and forget food cooking on the stove or in the oven or microwave. 

Pets can start fires, too

A candle is burning in an unoccupied bedroom. The cat jumps on the dresser and knocks the candle over and onto the carpet, which begins to burn.

“It’s easy to walk out of the room and forget that you have [a candle] going,” Pilgrim said. “I have a dog at home, and he’s gotten on the stove to get food, and somehow he’s turned on the burner.”  

Debbie said she replaced a bathroom countertop with wood and burns a candle on top of it all the time.

“Now I’m gonna go home and change my countertop, too,” she said.

Change the batteries in smoke detectors

Along with tips on how to avoid housefires, Pilgrim reminded Debbie to change the batteries of her smoke detectors when Daylight Saving Time begins in the spring and ends in the fall.

And he had another piece of advice, too.

“We just want to encourage people to be safe. If they ever have an emergency in their home, never hesitate to call 911,” Pilgrim said.

In the future, Debbie said that when she gets a new toaster she will follow the advice of the experts: Unplug the toaster when it is not in use. 

“I’m going to do that, that’s an easy lesson. The harder lesson for me is to remember to listen to my gut,” she said.

Dave & Dujanovic can be heard weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon. on KSL NewsRadio. Users can find the show on the KSL NewsRadio website and app, a.s well as Apple Podcasts and Google Play.  

Today’s Top Stories

Dave & Dujanovic

In this Saturday, June 29, 2019, photo, Christy Belt, Timpanogos Academy 5th grade teacher, engages...
Curt Gresseth

Preparing and training for school emergencies

A Be Ready Utah expert discusses preparing for school emergencies, the need to have a plan ready and a list of items needed to safely handle disasters when they happen because they do.
6 days ago
File - Experts say parents should consider if Snapchat is right for children and teenagers due to i...
Curt Gresseth

Expert gives advice for parents on teens and new Snapchat controls

Parents need to know the dangers that Snapchat can present to young kids. An expert joins the show to discuss Snapchat's new parental controls and how to have an open conversation with a teen using the app and others like Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.
7 days ago
french fries are pictured. Inflation is raising lunch prices...
Samantha Herrera

Is inflation hurting your lunch plans?

High costs from inflation may be messing with your lunch. Some restaurants have had to raise prices to deal with high ingredient costs.
8 days ago
A paper reading IRS, internal revenue service is pictured...
Amie Schaeffer

Inflation Reduction Act would provide nearly $80 billion for IRS

The Inflation Reduction Act would provide almost $80 billion in funding to the IRS, but what would it be used for?
8 days ago
Welcome sign to Moab. A Moab concert series will happen this year....
Allie Litzinger

New ordinance introduced to help in tight housing market in Moab

In an effort to fight a tight Moab housing market, the city has introduced a new ordinance that requires one-third of any new developments be set aside for current employees.
14 days ago
Native American regalia...
Curt Gresseth

U. of U. to offer scholarships to Indigenous students in Utah

The University of Utah announced that scholarships will be offered to members of Utah's eight federally recognized tribes. The university president shares details of the program with Dave & Dujanovic.
14 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Preventing house fires, and the importance of listening to your inner voice