Stray pig evades capture but leads Carbon County officials to pot grow
PRICE, Utah — The search for a stray pig ended up with a pot bust in Carbon County, though the sheriff’s department did not yet announce any arrests.
According to the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office, deputies helped animal control officers on Sunday, Sept. 5. They were trying to corral a stray domesticated pig running through people’s properties when they stumbled across the marijuana plants.
Stray pig inadvertently squeals, reveals Carbon County pot
In a Facebook post, the department said it sought and received a warrant, which deputies served on the property.
“The Carbon County Sheriff’s Office then entered the property and collected the marijuana plants to be booked into evidence,” the department said on social media.
Carbon County officials did not announce any arrests related to the pot bust. They said the investigation continues and the department did make contact with “the party that cultivated the marijuana plants.”
In addition, they reminded residents legal medical marijuana in Utah does not mean you can grow your own.
“Sheriff Jeff Wood would like to remind residents that even though medical marijuana is already legal in Utah, patients still don’t have the right to grow their own plants. Likewise, recreational cannabis is still illegal in any form in the state,” the statement said.
The sheriff’s department said they found the stray pig and returned it to its rightful owners.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols