SALT LAKE CITY — Two school-age children are in critical condition Monday after police say they were hit by a car near 1040 West and 400 South in Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City police Sgt. Mark Wian told KSL NewsRadio the children, exact ages unknown, went to a hospital for treatment. The scene is near at least one elementary school, but we don’t know if the children attended that school.
“Paramedics and officers treated the two victims on scene and they were transported to [an] area hospital in critical condition,” Wian said.
Wian said the driver of the car that hit the children, a man, is cooperating with police. He did not offer further details about that person.
“We are still in the process of notifying parents and guardians to alert them of what has happened,” Wian said.
Officers are asking anyone in the area of 1000 West and 400 South when the accident occurred, just before 8 a.m. Monday, Sept. 20, to contact Salt Lake Police if you saw anything. They would also like anyone with doorbell cameras to check to see if they captured the crash.
Wian said crime lab technicians were on site trying to piece together what happened.
The area on 400 South between 1000 West and Goshen Street (1040 West) was shut down for several hours during the investigation.
Family members established a GoFundMe account* to help with the children’s medical costs.
*KSL NewsRadio does not assure that the money deposited to the account directly benefits the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Ogden police investigating death of 41-year-old man
- Drought-stricken California doused by major storm
- Body recovered from canal in Salt Lake City
- Raising Cane’s in Utah is officially open for business
- Crew member yelled ‘cold gun’ as he handed Alec Baldwin prop weapon, court…
- How long can I reuse and wear my face mask or respirator?
- Roy police officer arrested on suspicion of child sex abuse
- Father of Moab murder victim Kylen Schulte asks visitors to check dash cams
- 10 weird landmarks in Utah many new residents don’t even know about
- Tom Little – Lakeview Elementary School