Edgemont Elementary in Provo moves to online learning after Test-to-Stay event
Oct 9, 2021, 12:19 PM
PROVO, Utah — The Provo City School District announced Edgemont Elementary School will move to remote or online learning Monday through Wednesday, after a Test-to-Stay event Friday revealed a high number of positive COVID-19 test results.
School officials emailed parents and posted information on the Provo district website with details.
“Due to the high number of positive results identified in students and employees, the Utah County Health Department and Provo City School District have agreed to move Edgemont to remote (online) learning for the three days of school next week prior to Fall Break,” district officials said in a statement.
No other Provo district schools are currently affected.
Under state statute, schools with more than 1,500 students must hold a Test-to-Stay event when at least 2% of the student body tests positive for COVID-19 in the prior 14 days. Schools with fewer than 1,500 students must hold a Test-to-Stay event if 30 or more students test positive for COVID-19 in the prior 14 days. Edgemont falls into the latter category.
- Audit: end “soft closures” in favor of “Test to Stay” in Utah schools
- Pfizer asks US to allow COVID shots for kids ages 5 to 11
- Health department: Salt Lake City schools lowest risk of student COVID-19
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
- Seek out the COVID-19 vaccine.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707