A third of Southwest Flights canceled from Salt Lake City Monday
SALT LAKE CITY — A third of the Southwest Airlines flights set to depart Salt Lake City Monday were cancelled, according the real time flight-tracking website FlightAware.
A spokesperson for Southwest Airlines confirmed to KSL NewsRadio that 33 Southwest flights were scheduled at Salt Lake International Airport on Monday.
As of Monday afternoon, Flight Aware said that 13 total flights were canceled at the Salt Lake airport today, 11 of those from Southwest Airlines.
The spokesperson for Southwest did not confirm those numbers but did tell KSL Newsradio, “typically FlightAware is pretty accurate.”
“On Friday evening, the airline ended the day with numerous cancellations, primarily created by weather and other external constraints, which left aircraft and Crews out of pre-planned positions to operate our schedule on Saturday,” a statement from Southwest said.
“Unfortunately, the out-of-place aircraft and continued strain on our Crew resources created additional cancelations across our point-to-point network that cascaded throughout the weekend and into Monday.”
Southwest said that they are experiencing fewer disruptions today as work continues to “restore stability to the network.”
The cancelations began Friday after pilots went to court to stop the airline’s vaccine mandate. But officials said the cancellations were not associated with a protest.
“The operational challenges were not a result of Southwest Employee demonstrations, as some outlets are reporting,” the statement said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- SLC Police arrest man for burglarizing two law offices
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit