SALT LAKE CITY — Kids in the Salt Lake School District will be wearing masks to school through at least the end of the calendar year. The city council voted last night to extend an emergency health order until December 20th.
Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall can only issue an emergency order for 30 days. But according to council lawyers, the council can extend it longer, and they did, until just after school gets out for winter break.
Masks in the Salt Lake School District
Mayor Erin Mendenhall presented data to the council at Tuesday’s meeting saying over the last 40 days the district has had under 864 Covid cases.
“Which is pretty dramatically lower than other school districts particularly when you look at our student populations,” she said.
She told the council 62% of eligible kids in the district are vaccinated. Council members then discussed whether to extend it longer than 30 days.
“I would advocate for giving teachers and parents as much leeway to plan as possible,” said council member Darin Mano.
The council said they would vote at their December 14th meeting whether to extend it longer than the current ending date of December 20th.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a mask.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
- Get vaccinated.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Demolition begins at abandoned Raging Water/Seven Peak water park
- Taylorsville Police searching for murder suspect, needs public’s help
- Two passengers died in Orem car crash
- Southbound I-15 backed up by three car crashes in Roy
- Bountiful City crews working on main waterline break
- Vehicle of family that went missing 20 years ago discovered in Ohio River
- North Salt Lake police respond to car chase that leaves one dead
- BYU Cougars no longer ranked among top college football teams
- At least 13 auto safety rules are years overdue
- More than 90 snakes found under Northern California home