Salt Lake City extends masks policy for Salt Lake City School District through winter break
SALT LAKE CITY — Kids in the Salt Lake School District will be wearing masks to school through at least the end of the calendar year. The city council voted last night to extend an emergency health order until December 20th.
Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall can only issue an emergency order for 30 days. But according to council lawyers, the council can extend it longer, and they did, until just after school gets out for winter break.
Masks in the Salt Lake School District
Mayor Erin Mendenhall presented data to the council at Tuesday’s meeting saying over the last 40 days the district has had under 864 Covid cases.
“Which is pretty dramatically lower than other school districts particularly when you look at our student populations,” she said.
She told the council 62% of eligible kids in the district are vaccinated. Council members then discussed whether to extend it longer than 30 days.
“I would advocate for giving teachers and parents as much leeway to plan as possible,” said council member Darin Mano.
The council said they would vote at their December 14th meeting whether to extend it longer than the current ending date of December 20th.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a mask.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
- Get vaccinated.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it
- Child dies after hit and run in West Valley
- One man dead after shooting in Draper early Thursday morning
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Utah business Lions Not Sheep responds to FTC fraud claims
- Breeze Airways announces additional flights out of Provo Airport
- Sportsmanship exemplified in grace of Little League batter
- Canyons School District starting the year with a teacher and staff shortage
- Video shows chaotic scene of American Fork burglary suspect fleeing Walmart parking lot,…
- Wall Street Journal: Informant tipped off investigators about more documents at Mar-a-Lago