Suspect arrested after a woman attacked with a saw
Note: The SLCPD originally reported that a woman had been attacked, but later clarified that it was a man.
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City police arrested a man early Wednesday morning after they said he attacked and injured a woman with a reciprocating saw. Officers said the incident began with a confrontation on the street near 300 East and 200 South about 11 p.m.
Police said the suspect got tangled up in a dog leash and that led to an altercation with three people walking the dog. The suspect then attacked a woman in the group with the saw. She suffered a cut over the eye and was treated at a local hospital. Officers said the injury was not life-threatening.
The suspect then went to his apartment nearby. In a video recorded by police, Detective Marie Stewart said that’s when officers called for extra help.
Early this morning, SLCPD SWAT safely arrested an aggravated-assault suspect who barricaded himself inside a residence near 300 East & 200 South after allegedly assaulting a female victim using a reciprocating saw.
Press Release: https://t.co/XrwHI4Diy8 #SLC #SaltLakeCity #Utah pic.twitter.com/gqt6LJyf2G
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) October 13, 2021
“The suspect then barricaded himself inside his apartment. Officers, SWAT team and crisis negotiators were called out,” she said.
“They attempted contact with the suspect,” Stewart continued. “He refused. They breached the door and peacefully took the suspect into custody.”
Streets in the area were blocked off until the assault was resolved around 3 a.m. Wednesday.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…