CNN

Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway

Oct 13, 2021, 7:18 PM | Updated: 7:52 pm
Police at the scene after an attack in Kongsberg, Norway, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2021. Several people ...
Police at the scene after an attack in Kongsberg, Norway, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2021. Several people have been killed and others injured by a man armed with a bow and arrow in a town west of the Norwegian capital, Oslo. (Hakon Mosvold Larsen/NTB Scanpix via AP)
(Hakon Mosvold Larsen/NTB Scanpix via AP)

(CNN) — Five people have been killed and at least two others injured during a sprawling attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, according to local police.

The suspected attacker used a bow and arrow, a spokesman for Norway’s southeastern police district, which includes Kongsberg, told CNN on Wednesday.

The suspect is under arrest and is believed to have acted alone. He has not yet been questioned, according to Øyvind Aas, police chief of the county seat Drammen. There is “no active search for more people,” according to Aas.

Speaking to the press after the attack, the police chief said authorities had not ruled out the possibility of a terror attack. “From the course of events, it is natural to consider whether this is an act of terrorism,” he said.

However, “the apprehended person has not been questioned, and it is therefore too early to say anything about this and what was the person’s motivation.”

The suspect moved across a “large area” in the course of the attack and was apprehended at 6:47 pm local time, a police statement said.

Speaking at a press conference in Oslo, the capital, Erna Solberg, the country’s outgoing prime minister, described the developments in Kongsberg as “gruesome” and promised that “all necessary resources” are being deployed.

“The perpetrator has carried out horrific acts against several people. It is a very dramatic situation that has hit Kongsberg society hard, and the events shake us all,” she said.

The attack comes on the eve of a new government after last month’s parliamentary elections unseated the long-ruling Conservative party. Labour leader Jonas Gahr Støre is due to assume the role of prime minister on Thursday.

In a Facebook post, Støre described the attack as a “cruel and brutal act.”

“My thoughts and deepest sympathy now go to those affected, their families, and to the police, health personnel, and aid workers who are now working full time to provide an overview and assist those who need help.”

According to Aas, one of the injured is an off-duty policeman who was in a store.

“The injured have been taken to hospital for treatment. The Kongsberg municipality has been notified and has set up crisis teams to assist and follow up with those who need it,” he said.

Kongsberg is located 85 kilometers (about 53 miles) west of Oslo.

Police in the country are now temporarily armed

Local police began receiving emergency calls from central Kongsberg at 6:13 pm local time, according to a statement by the southeastern police district.

The calls reported a person walking around with “what was supposedly a bow and arrow.”

Shots were fired by police during the arrest, said Aas.

“It took some time from the time our first patrol was on the scene until he was arrested. We will return to a more detailed description of the course of events when we have a better overview of what happened,” he said.

Police across the country have now been given the rare order to carry firearms as a precaution.

“Due to the serious incident in Kongsberg where several people were killed and injured tonight, the police in Norway are temporarily armed,” the Norwegian Police Directorate said in a statement on Wednesday.

“This is an additional emergency measure,” the statement added. “The police currently have no concrete indications that there is a change in the threat level in the country.”

Under Norwegian law, officers typically must have prior approval to carry firearms.

The attack comes just over a decade since Norway’s worst terrorist attack.

In July 2011, Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Brevik killed 77 people, many of them teenagers, in a bomb attack and gun rampage. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum possible term.

In August 2019, another man stormed an Oslo mosque armed with guns before being overpowered. That year, the country’s intelligence service reported that right-wing terrorism was on the rise globally, and warned that the country would likely be targeted in the near future.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.

Today’s Top Stories

CNN

Salman Rushdie...
Ray Sanchez, Adam Thomas, Kristina Sgueglia, Samantha Beech, Paul P. Murphy, and Lauren Said-Moorhouse, CNN

Authorities identify suspect who attacked author Salman Rushdie at western New York event

Author Salman Rushdie, who has received death threats in the past due to his writings, was attacked Friday prior to giving a lecture in New York.
2 days ago
Former President Donald Trump is pictured....
Katelyn Polantz, Zachary Cohen, Sara Murray and Marshall Cohen, CNN

FBI took 11 sets of classified documents from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, including some highly classified material

The search warrant identifies three federal crimes that the DOJ is looking at as part of its investigation, which includes violations of the Espionage Act.
2 days ago
Mar-a-Lago...
Shawna Mizelle, CNN

Wall Street Journal: Informant tipped off investigators about more documents at Mar-a-Lago

Monday's search warrant execution pertained to both the handling of classified documents and the Presidential Records Act.
4 days ago
Serena williams is pictured...
Ben Morse, CNN

Serena Williams announces she will ‘evolve away from tennis’ after upcoming US Open

(CNN) — Serena Williams has announced that she will “evolve away from tennis” after this year’s US Open to focus on “other things that are important to me.” In an article in Vogue, the 23-time grand slam winner said that, although she will try to win at the US Open, it is time for her […]
5 days ago
Trump's Ma...
Kaitlan Collins, CNN, Mark Jackson

FBI executes search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago, former President says

A search was executed Monday by the FBI on former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.
6 days ago
British boy dies...
Martin Goillandeau, CNN

British boy dies after life support stopped at end of long legal battle between his parents and doctors

The long legal battle between the family of a 12-year-old British boy and doctors ended as the boy died Saturday. He had been in a coma since April.
7 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway