Suspects in custody after shooting reported at Liberty Park
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City police say they have two suspects in custody and are looking for more information from the public after a report of a gunshot at Liberty Park Wednesday afternoon.
Police received a call claiming a shot was fired close to 1 p.m. The shot was heard in the area of the basketball courts which are toward the center of the park.
“Preliminary information suggests one confirmed shot fired,” said Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Mark Wian. “We have recovered a firearm on scene.”
— Nick Wyatt (@NickWyattNews) October 20, 2021
And Sgt. Wian said they have two suspects in custody.
“As far as what led up to the shooting, we’re sifting that out and putting those pieces of the puzzle together,” Wian said.
Despite the sounds of gunfire at the park today, there have been no reports that anybody was actually shot. And police wanted to make sure the public knows that people are at Liberty Park today.
“There is no impact to the community at this time,” said Sgt. Wian. “This is a scary event, but as you can see there are still community members here participating with what the park has to offer.”
Salt Lake City police are still looking for witnesses or anybody that might have information about why a gun was fired at Liberty Park on Wednesday. Anybody with information can call 801-799-3000.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- One dead after four-vehicles crash on U.S. Highway-40
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- A weekend under the cosmic lights at Woodward Park City