Live broadcasts of “Music and the Spoken Word” return
SALT LAKE CITY – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced live broadcasts of “Music & the Spoken Word,” will return. According to a press release, The Tabernacle Choir on Temple Square will perform on Sunday, October 24, 2021.
First live broadcasts will return since the beginning of Covid-19 in 2020
It has been 19 months since the Choir’s last live broadcast on March 8, 2020, at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Previous performances have been aired to continue the Choir’s 93-year-old tradition of continuous broadcasts. The Choir’s broadcast will originate from the Conference Center on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah. Choir members will not have a public audience for their Sunday performances. Media Relations Manager Kelly Smott said live performances are not expected until at least after the beginning of 2022.
Sunday’s broadcast is intended to show gratitude for our blessings
Smoot said, “Sunday’s broadcast is titled “Our ‘Songs of Loudest Praise.’” All the music—from “Glory to God on High” to “Now Thank We All Our God”—was selected to show gratitude for our blessings.”
New music on the live broadcast includes “We Thank Thee, Lord, for This New Day,” and Rick Elliott’s organ solo “Praise and Thanksgiving.” Also, “Tuya Es La Gloria,” a Latin American melody song was placed on the program to recognize the influence of the Choir’s Latin American audiences. “Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing,” a signature piece for the Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square will close the performance. This selection was performed on the last live broadcast before the pandemic.
A New Logo has been unveiled for live broadcast return
A new opening segment incorporating a new logo for “Music & the Spoken Word” will also be unveiled on Sunday. The Tabernacle Choir on Temple Square wants the audience to know they are hearing and seeing new content. The logo has not been updated since August of 2004. The new one was designed to complement the Choir’s visual identity introduced last year.
Tune in to the live broadcast
“Music & the Spoken Word” can be heard live on KSL NewsRadio, 102.7 FM 1160AM and on the KSL NewsRadio app, each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. MDT.
Today’s Top Stories
- Traffic in southern Utah causes headaches for motorists
- Man arrested for DUI with six children in his vehicle
- Natural vs. artificial: Which Christmas tree option is better for the climate?
- Researchers believe ‘omicron’ variant will be in Utah, sooner or later
- Skier dies after crashing into snowbank at Brighton
- Intoxicated woman arrested after the assault of two health care workers
- Salt Lake County Search and Rescue assists male hiker off of Stairs Gulch
- Zion National Park shuttles out of service until late December
- Holiday travel numbers show departures and returns about the same
- At least 30 people burglarize a Best Buy in Minnesota on Black Friday