West Jordan officer-involved shooting leaves suspect in critical condition
WEST JORDAN, Utah — Police are releasing more details about the man involved in an officer-involved shooting outside of a trailer in West Jordan. They’re identifying the suspect, but other details are slow to come out.
West Jordan police confirmed to KSL that officers were called to a mobile home park near 8400 South 4000 West Sunday evening because of a domestic disturbance call.
“There was a male, on-scene, that was armed with a gun and behaving in an aggressive manner,” said West Jordan Police Deputy Chief Rich Bell
Investigators later identified that suspect as 36-year-old Pedro Cortes-Villalon, and Bell says his aggressive behavior didn’t stop when police arrived.
He said, “During the course of that encounter, one officer fired at least one round.”
Cortes-Villalon was rushed to the hospital, and Bell says he’s still in critical condition. No officers were hurt, and police recovered a gun from the scene.
Neighbors hear gunfire from West Jordan shooting
Neighbor Don Polad says all was quiet on his street until about 9 p.m. when he heard a single, loud pop.
“And then my son came into my room and said ‘Dad, the whole neighborhood’s full of cops’,” Polad said.
Polad, who says he does not know his next-door neighbor very well, says police looked through his home to see if a bullet had punctured a wall.
“Really didn’t get much sleep because my whole yard was a crime scene,” Polad said.
Many other details were not released to the public, and investigators aren’t explaining what sparked the confrontation between Cortes-Villalon and police. The West Valley Police Department is leading the Officer-Involved Critical Incident Team for this particular shooting.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case