CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
West Jordan officer-involved shooting leaves suspect in critical condition
WEST JORDAN, Utah — Police are releasing more details about the man involved in an officer-involved shooting outside of a trailer in West Jordan. They’re identifying the suspect, but other details are slow to come out.
West Jordan police confirmed to KSL that officers were called to a mobile home park near 8400 South 4000 West Sunday evening because of a domestic disturbance call.
“There was a male, on-scene, that was armed with a gun and behaving in an aggressive manner,” said West Jordan Police Deputy Chief Rich Bell
Investigators later identified that suspect as 36-year-old Pedro Cortes-Villalon, and Bell says his aggressive behavior didn’t stop when police arrived.
He said, “During the course of that encounter, one officer fired at least one round.”
Cortes-Villalon was rushed to the hospital, and Bell says he’s still in critical condition. No officers were hurt, and police recovered a gun from the scene.
Neighbors hear gunfire from West Jordan shooting
Neighbor Don Polad says all was quiet on his street until about 9 p.m. when he heard a single, loud pop.
“And then my son came into my room and said ‘Dad, the whole neighborhood’s full of cops’,” Polad said.
Polad, who says he does not know his next-door neighbor very well, says police looked through his home to see if a bullet had punctured a wall.
“Really didn’t get much sleep because my whole yard was a crime scene,” Polad said.
Many other details were not released to the public, and investigators aren’t explaining what sparked the confrontation between Cortes-Villalon and police. The West Valley Police Department is leading the Officer-Involved Critical Incident Team for this particular shooting.
- West Jordan Police arrest suspect connected to murder of teenage boy
- A motorcyclist is dead after crashing in West Jordan
- UPDATE: 13-year-old killed by 15-year-old friend overnight in West Jordan
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Online marriage licensing gets the attention all over the world
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah