Update: Two apartments a complete loss after explosion in Springville
SPRINGVILLE, Utah — Two apartment homes are a complete loss after a gas line exploded early Tuesday afternoon in Springville.
The better news according to Springville fire officials is that nobody was home when the explosions happened.
Warren Foster, with the Springville Fire Department, said they started getting calls at around 12:20 on Tuesday afternoon reporting a large explosion at a housing complex on 500 South Main Street.
“All fire and police were responding to this location because we know this is an apartment complex with multiple people,” Foster said, “as well as the trailer park to the west of it.”
“So we know it was a pretty populated section of town, not only that, it’s the middle of town,” Foster continued.
Provo Fire Captain Sam Armstrong said the building that caught fire is a residential apartment structure that used to be an old motel.
Foster said that some people may be allowed back into their apartments tonight, but that others wont.
“It all depends on which apartment they’re in,” Foster said.
It is also unclear why the natural gas lines were being worked on when the explosion happened. Foster said that Dominion Energy was quick to respond when they learned of the problem.
The explosion happened on one of Springville’s main thoroughfares. Still, Foster said that as school lets out and people start making their way home from work, they should avoid the Main Street between 4oo and 800 South.
“We would ask you to avoid the area,” Foster said, “because it is already heavily congested. We would ask you to take an alternate route.”
If you are making your way toward Springville, Foster suggests that those driving south on I-15 should use the Spanish Fork exit and to access their homes that way.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- San Juan county crash leaves one dead, one injured
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Elizabeth Smart says she was sexually assaulted on a plane
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?