SLC police arrest aggravated assault suspect, recover four firearms
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is in custody after being arrested by Salt Lake City police because of suspected involvement in an aggravated assault. Police identified the suspect as Freddy Garcia.
The investigation began Saturday after police officers learned about a firearm-related disturbance, police said in a news release.
Police officers learned a group of three men, including Garcia, were allegedly inside of a house when an argument took place. Police reported that Garcia was asked to leave the house.
Police say Garcia hit a victim in the head with a firearm and fled before officers arrived.
The victim was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. After a days-long investigation, police officers arrested Garcia near 1500 West and 900 South in Salt Lake City.
Police issued a search warrant, during which they discovered four firearms, illegal narcotics and drug paraphernalia.
Detectives booked Garcia into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on a charge of aggravated assault.
SLCPD also cautioned that these “charges are only allegations, and every arrested person is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.”
The original call came from 970 North Oakley St. around 11:24 p.m. on Saturday, according to police.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Assaults against police officers rose in 2020 from year before
- Aggravated assault near East High School under investigation
- Former Woods Cross police officer charged with assault for firing at truck
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Tooele City releases fireworks restrictions map
- UPDATE: SLCPD investigating party shooting that left one in critical condition
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah