Seventy missionairies are safe after being robbed in Mexico
SALT LAKE CITY — Seventy missionaries are safe this morning after being robbed at gunpoint during a zone conference in Torreón, Mexico. In a statement released by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints spokesman Sam Penrod, all missionaries are safe.
Penrod said, “Seventy full-time missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are all safe following a serious incident on Friday, November 12, 2021, during a zone conference in Torreón, Mexico. Two men entered a Church meetinghouse armed with guns and demanded cell phones, tablets and wallets. The robbers intimidated the 13 sisters and 57 elders, and a few were hit or kicked during the incident. The mission president and his wife were also assaulted and threatened with a knife.
Local police were immediately called after the men fled the scene and no one needed additional medical care. A Church counselor is traveling from Mexico City to assist with emotional needs and other counseling options are also being made available. Parents are being contacted by the Church and missionaries are being encouraged to contact their families.
Missionaries have been removed from the area where the incident occurred and instructed to be extra cautious. A Church security officer is in Torreón to evaluate the situation. Our prayers are with these missionaries and their families as they recover from this frightening and traumatic experience.”
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon