Suspect arrested in connection with Midvale wedding shooting
MIDVALE, Utah — A man was arrested in connection to a deadly shooting outside a wedding, in Midvale.
On Saturday Unified Police arrested 19-year-old Guillermo Herrera and booked him to the Salt Lake County Jail.
Herrera is being charged with murder, aggravated assault, transaction of a firearm by a restricted person, riot, and obstruction of justice.
The incident occurred on November 6, when the victim Oscar Avila escorted three men who entered the wedding and started causing problems, according to the police report.
A witness at the wedding identified Herrera and the other two suspects who entered the wedding. The second suspect was reported to have brandished a firearm in his waistband. A fourth male was identified to be part of the Dogtown Surenos, he is accused of instigating the altercation outside that led to the shooting.
Video surveillance obtained by Unified Police shows the moment Avila runs towards the fight outside the wedding, getting into a confrontation with Herrera. Hererra appears to be holding something in his hand, but the item cannot be clearly identified, Avila then falls to the ground.
Wedding guests attempted first aid on Avila, but he died at the scene. An autopsy confirmed a fatal gunshot to the chest of Avila.
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Frigid temperatures delaying some school start times
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Man suspected of kidnapping and beating a woman in Oregon may be using dating apps to evade police
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead