Former Gov. Herbert to serve on National Assessment Governing Board
OREM, Utah — Former Utah Gov. Gary Herbert will serve as a member of the National Assessment Governing Board. Herbert fills an open post on the board that is available for a Republican Governor.
Herbert was sworn into the position on Thursday by U.S. Department of Education Secretary Miguel Cardona.
The Governing Board oversees and set policy for the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). It is also known as The Nation’s Report Card. The Governing Board is also a nonpartisan body established by Congress.
Herbert will also continue his work at Utah Valley University. At Utah Valley, Herbert is working to further establish the recently created Gary R. Herbert Institute for Public Policy.
“It’s an honor to be selected by the secretary, and I believe it fits nicely with my efforts to establish a new public policy institute at UVU,” Herbert said in press release. “Having served as the chair of the National Governor’s Association (NGA), I know how important it is to have a seat at the table, especially when that seat brings Utah’s voice and experience into creating impactful education policy.”
Herbert will serve a role of four years.
- Gary Herbert gives his final speech as Utah governor
- Gov. Herbert stands by the state’s COVID-19 response one year later
Today’s Top Stories
- Church missionary serving in Alabama injured in a shooting
- Heated driveways are a modern wonder, but what else can you do with radiant heating around…
- A man jumped out of taxiing airplane at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport
- U of U Utes win first Pac-12 championship; heading to the Rose Bowl
- Tooele County man is taken into custody after child porn investigation
- How to tell if it’s time for a ‘sleep divorce’
- Odgen police arrest man after making threats toward his family, police
- Utah, Utah State to play in conference title games this weekend
- Ten things you may not know about Jazz owner Ryan Smith
- Suspect’s parents charged in Michigan school shooting