Utah is below the national average for COVID vaccination rates, here’s why
UTAH — Fifty-nine percent of all eligible Americans are now fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Beehive State sits at only 55%, according to the Utah Department of Health.
Kids seem to be skewing the data
That percentage includes everyone who can get a COVID shot. Children between the ages of 5 and 11 were only recently eligible to receive the injection, so they are lagging behind in vaccination status.
With Utah having the youngest population in the nation, the percentage may be slightly skewed, according to statisticians.
In fact, almost 69% of Utahns have received at least one dose of the vaccine, according to the Department of Health in Utah.
Officials urge vaccination
Health officials continue to urge parents to get their kids, and themselves, vaccinated to protect against all variants of the coronavirus — including the Omicron variant which is making its presence known around the globe.
Statisticians say if a majority of children, and a few more adults, get a COVID-19 shot, Utah could be one of the highest ranked states for vaccination rates.
Doctors say they want as many people as possible to get vaccinated to stop the spread and more variants from cropping up.
- Pfizer provides FDA vaccine data from kids ages 5-11
- US to require vaccines for all border crossers in January
- Health officials see a high number of young kids getting COVID-19 vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine clinics for kids 5-11
Today’s Top Stories
- Suspect in Heber murder found dead, police say
- Utah judge cancels hearing on trans athlete ruling in favor of written opinion
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Power outage impacting much of Magna and West Valley City
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Colorado River falls into Tier 2 shortage, new cuts coming for Southwest
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- First lady Dr. Jill Biden tests positive for Covid-19