OUTDOORS + RECREATION
Two people stranded at Zion National Park rescued over the weekend, one pronounced dead
SPRINGDALE, Utah — The tactical search and rescue team at Zion National Park safely rescued two canyoneers stranded over the weekend.
The two individuals were stock on a perch roughly 280 feet above Upper Emerald Pools. A third individual was found suspended from a rope about 20 feet below the perch. Unfortunately, that individual was lowered to the ground and pronounced dead at the scene.
The victim has been identified as 31-year-old Andrew Arvig of Chesapeake, Virginia.
According to park officials, the three individuals began their journey on Saturday. They had been following their permitted itinerary, but they had difficulty negotiating the last few rappels.
Officials say Arvig rappelled past a rock ledge where he needed to land and re-anchor his rope. He was not able to climb the 20 feet back to the perch.
Officials began search operations Sunday morning when the two individuals on the perch were able to get a call out to Washington County Dispatch. The individuals had made several attempts to contact authorities, but were unable to get through due to poor cell phone reception.
The cause of Arvig’s death is still under investigation.
In all, there were more than 30 individuals involved in the rescue effort, including a helicopter crew from Grand Canyon National Park, and a Life Flight crew.
- Zion National Park shuttles out of service until late December
- SR-9 through Zion National Park re-opens after rock fall
- A record year for search and rescue in Zion National Park
- Girl, teddy bear reunited a year after loss in Glacier National Park
- Plan trips to Utah national parks in advance, say tourism officials
- Missing hiker at Zion National Park found safe
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Lake effect snow causes school delays in northern Utah
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area