Man arrested and accused of shooting a police officer
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — A man has now been arrested in the investigation of the shooting of a police officer.
After allegedly shooting a police officer in the leg, 29-year-old Malui Salesi Vehikite was arrested.
Vehikite was suspected of five offenses, including aggravated assault, possession of a weapon by a restricted person, and felony discharge of a firearm, according to the South Jordan Police Department.
South Jordan PD also reported that a search warrant of Vehikite’s residence found bullet fragments, casings, firearms, drug paraphernalia (including prescription drugs not prescribed to Vehikite).
Officers also found personal checks written to Vehikite all appearing to be written in the same handwriting, as well as credit cards and driver’s licenses all in different names, according to South Jordan PD.
South Jordan Police reported finding these and more items that “are all consistent with burglaries or thefts.”
Malui Salesi Vehikite currently has four warrants of his arrest and new felony charges from February of 2021, report South Jordan Police.
The investigation is still undergoing. More details will be updated.
- Shootings on I-15 in Juab County leave two injured
- Suspect arrested in connection with Midvale wedding shooting
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah