Utah joins lawsuit against Biden’s Head Start COVID-19 mandate
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah has joined 24 other states in a lawsuit against President Biden’s mask requirements for Head Start students and vaccinations for their teachers.
The lawsuit claims that President Biden’s latest vaccine mandates are unconstitutional and that the federal government is overreaching its authority.
Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes said in a statement that the mandates are “arbitrary and capricious,” and violate a number of different laws. Reyes also claims that the mandate will cost jobs and impede child development.
— Sean Reyes (@SeanReyesUT) December 23, 2021
Head Start is a combination of federal government programs with the goal of promoting school readiness of infants, toddlers, and preschool-aged children from low income families. The programs also “engage parents or other key family members in positive relationships, with a focus on family wellbeing,” according to its webpage.
Parents or caregivers are eligible for Head Start services if they make 100% or less of the federal poverty level.
The White House says it is implementing a six-pronged strategy to ensure the safety of students and teachers during the pandemic. Along with requiring masks for Head Start students and vaccinations for Head Start teachers, the plan calls for states to adopt vaccine requirements for all school employees.
The President’s plan also calls for more funding to reopen schools safely, regular testing for school staff and students, and a review of vaccinations for individuals under the age of twelve.
- Sen. Lee wants safeguard against military discharge for refusing vaccine
- Utah AG Reyes: Biden mandate “disastrous,” threatens lawsuit
- Utah leading a new anti-trust charge against Google over Google Play practices
Today’s Top Stories
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Layton Police still searching for teenager missing from treatment center
- Family of Gabby Petito announces intent to file lawsuit against Moab Police
- FBI executes search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago, former President says
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Utah’s senators react to passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- Olivia Newton-John, singer and actress, dies of breast cancer at 73
- Nine years later: the Susan Powell case revisited
- National Park Service stonewalls public records in Gabby Petito case
- Police release video of Provo MTC shooting, hope for more information