Over 100 paying and volunteer positions available in homeless services
SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Erin Mendenhall and members of local homeless service organizations have announced that, right now, there are over a hundred paying jobs and volunteer positions that need to be filled.
“Shelter staff and volunteers play such an important role in the lives of the unsheltered population and providers cannot function without them,” Mendenhall said.
Volunteers and staff are necessary to support the increased need. Each plays a necessary role that allows overcrowded spaces designed for temporary housing to stay open during the winter months.
Over a hundred paid opportunities are now posted, with 45 jobs specific to alleviating overcrowded programs. These job postings can be found thru Volunteers of America – Utah, The Road Home, and Utah Community Action.
Volunteer opportunities can be found here.
“Salt Lakers are known for their service and compassion,” Mendenhall said, “and I hope those looking for work or for service opportunities will consider one of the many open positions within the homeless services system.”
Positions vary in the amount of experience and types of skills that are needed.
“The Road Home is pleased to be able to support Salt Lake City and County and our residents who are in desperate need of safe shelter by expanding our overflow operations to an additional facility,” said Michelle Flynn, executive director of The Road Home.
“We are working together with our partners to hire and train team members and support opening the additional facility to provide safe, warm shelter as soon as possible.”
Other reading you may enjoy:
- Resource center for Woods Cross teens experiencing homelessness
- Volunteers of America has resources for homeless youth
- Salt Lake man offers his yard to those experiencing homelessness
- Overnight on the asphalt (or under the stars?) – raising awareness for Utah’s homeless youth
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- U of U community reacts to discovery of hidden cameras in campus bathrooms
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah